Perhaps most Filipinos, especially travelers, knows about the famous Penafrancia festival here in Naga City. It is a whole month celebration that happens every September. Participants of the celebration are not only the people from Naga or Camarines Sur but all of the Bicol Region. People from other parts of the country and foreigners are also participating this religious event. And when we are talking about the Penafrancia festival, Naga Cathedral is one of the place that is being highlighted. This place serves as the temporary refuge of the Nuestra Senora de Penafrancia after she has been processioned from her permanent house which is the Basilica de Penafrancia Church.
THE NAGA CATHEDRAL
The construction of this cathedral started when the Archdiocese of Caceres was created on August 14, 1595. Unfortunately, it was destroyed by fire in 1768 and so to be constructed again. The reconstruction resulted to its present image. The construction of this spanish-romanesque architectural style church was stared and supervised by Bishop Bernardo de la Concepcion and finished by Monsignor Tomas Ladron de Guevara on 1843. On 1856, the cathedral was damaged by strong typhoon and was restored under the supervision of Rev. Fray Francisco Gainza until 1879. Damaged by earthquake on 1887 and was repaired by Obras Publicas under the supervision of Bishop Arseio Campo.
So many years past under different supervision, Naga Cathedral still stands and developed into a modern cathedral due to some renovations. Additional structures were built around the church along with the Holy Rosary Minor Seminary and Naga Parochial School. The newest structure added was the "Porta Mariae", a symbolic gate in honor of the Loving INA of Bicolandia, Nuestra Senora de Penafrancia.
|The Altar of the Naga Cathedral.|
|Spanish-roman inspired design on the posts and ceiling.|
|Full view of the Naga Cathedral.|
|Replica of the Virgin of Penafrancia above the gate.|